Monday 22 July 2013

What'Up: Peel Off Nails From Topshop

I'm a big fan of Topshop polishes and I have realised I haven't yet shown that love in this blog. I find their polishes can be your usual colours but amped up or trendy dupes from popular brands. I paid $12 for Hidden Treasure, a dupe for Chanel Peridot that retailed for over $40 and I could never find, last year and I can't tell the difference. The characteristic that keeps me coming back to these polishes is the consistency on their quality long lasting, shiny formulas. I have worn some of Topshop's shades for up to a week with some tip wear and minimal chipping.

I usually look at Topshop's website and hope that when I'm near one of their two Australian shops, the colours I want will be in stock. Once, I went into Melbourne's  Topshop and they were getting their nail polish shipment the next day and there were none in sight. I was really disappointed as I was leaving Melbourne that day. :(

In the last few days, I was able to get my hands on one of their polishes. What'Up is a dusty pink, a colour I'm sure you could get anywhere, but it has a peel-off formula without need for special base coats. Swatch below is done with three coats no base coat or top coat.



The formula on this one was a bit thin but manageable and very sheer, it's not very noticeable in the photos but there was still VNL. It was also a bit lumpy and it didn't self-level but it wasn't a big issue.

Wet polish                                             Dry polish          
The polish has this dusty pink, almost lilac colour that I don't have in my stash so its purchase was completely justified. What I didn't take into account was the fact that one of the main ingredients is the same polymer used in PVA glue, which turns from white to clear after it dries. When dry, What'Up turns into a redder pink that the bottle.



I cleaned up the edges by using a orange stick instead of acetone by pushing the edges into the nail and it seemed to have worked OK. I finished it all off with a coat of Seche Vite to even out all the bumps.


Now, one problem I have with PVA base coats is the fact that if you try to use tape over it, it will most likely rip half you polish when trying to remove it, especially if there a tiny loose bits for the tape to cling to. After letting the Seche Vite dry, I created different pattern using sticky tape on my index and middle fingers and striping tape on the ring finger and pinky.


I can happily say that the polish didn't even chip with the tape and, even though my patterns weren't great, the lines are crisp and you can't tell the difference between this and a normal polish.

I don't think What'Up will be replacing my PVA base coat as the 8ml for $12 could be pricey and the Australian availability is limited to the Melbourne and Sydney Topshops, no online buys due to UK Mail restrictions. I would use and recommend this polish for days when you want a super quick mani or for an away trip when you don't want to take a base coat, polish, top coat and remover.

Have you tried any peel-off polishes? Do you know any other brands that make this sort of polishes? Would you give it a go?

Till next time, 

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read our blog posts AND to comment! We'll read and try to reply to every comment.

Please no link dropping and spamming, it's just not cool. If you've taken the time to comment on my post, I will check you out through whatever profile you've commented with. Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...