Thursday 27 June 2013

Essie Matte About You. Or How I Thought I Was Living In a Lie

If you were to look at the matte tag in this blog, you may notice about a third of all my posts have been matted. I love the matte finish and the soft light it reflects. So far I've been using Rimmel Pro Matte Finish and I was in love. After reading a few blogs, I discovered that the this matte top coat was actually giving my manis a satin finish and not the full on matte effect. I decided to do some research and look for the best matte top coat to ensure I was actually in love with the matte finish and not the satin one. 

This is how I came across essie's Matte About You. I'd read in various places that essie MAY and OPI's Matte Top Coat gave the best results so off I went to this trustworthy eBay seller and only found MAY for sale. I got the bottle of polish today and I had to try it out straight away. 

I knew exactly what mani I wanted to try it with to have a truly matte finish. I started with two coats of Topshop in Celestial, a beautiful periwinkle blue creme that is no longer on sale. There are plenty of dupes out there but the quality of Topshop polishes is impressive so I stuck with this one. Please excuse the crappy clean up I knew, I would have to clean up the rest of the polishes later. They get cleaner, I promise. 


Once Celestial was almost dry, I dabbed one coat of essence in The Huntsman from the Snow White Collection. I even got a long bar glitter that I didn't know the polish included.  Dabbing FTW! This took a while to dry so I applied a coat of Seche Vite to speed up the process. 


This is where I decided to put one coat of Rimmel PMF on first to see it would compare to MAY. Pretty  and soft, right? 


I let the mani dry completely before applying one coat of MAY. 


I didn't really see any difference but the I thought it may have had to do with the layering of matte polishes. So I started again to make sure there was clear difference.

More after the break.



I painted two coats of Orly in Blue Collar on my index and ring fingers and two coats of B Collection by Bloom in Cologne on my middle finger and pinky.


I applied the two top coats on two fingers each and look hard for the difference. Can you guys see it? 


I can after two coats of matte top coat, but ever so subtly and in macro shots. Below is MAY, which show a good matte effect. 



And PMT. I would say this reflects the light in a different way but the amount of light is the same. Get me? 


 

I may have gotten a dud Matte About You or a really good Pro Matte Finish. I guess I won't know. For the three weeks that I waited for MAY to  arrive (yes, it take that long but it's not like I didn't have other polishes to play around with. Ha!), I thought I had been living in the lie that PMF was matte instead of just a satin finish but after this little experiment, I have been left in limbo. Is it or isn't it? 

Do you own any matte top coats? If you do, can you tell the difference between satin and true matte? I may need to look further into this...

Till next time, 

Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read our blog posts AND to comment! We'll read and try to reply to every comment.

Please no link dropping and spamming, it's just not cool. If you've taken the time to comment on my post, I will check you out through whatever profile you've commented with. Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...